Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Coping: Comfort Eating

You often hear stories of people in the midst of great stress, be it a job-loss, marriage breakdown or death of a loved one, unable to eat. No appetite, no will to nosh...and as the upset over their loss continues, they get skinnier and skinnier...


I am not that person.
I'm the opposite. I cannot stop eating.


It wouldn't be such a bad thing if I was filling the void that I feel with vibrant green leafy things.


Nope. Not even close. Healthy nourishment is not on the menu right now. Grease, sugar and carbs are my best friends offering comfort like nothing else. During the first week without Mum, there was this amazing salad prepared, a symphony of different lettuces mixed with a rainbow of bell peppers, crunchy walnuts, mellow cheese, tart Granny Smith apple slices... it was GORGEOUS.


Dig in? Not a chance. All I could do was seek solace in more onion rings and french fries. Got a grilled cheese or greasy fish & chips, even better!


Now struggling through month 2 of the first year without Mum...and the carb fest continues with no sign of letting up.

3 comments:

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss - I'm very close to my mom and can only imagine how dreadful it'll be when she passes. I hope posting about your pain helps.

Plain Good Sense said...

Just stumbled upon this blog today, and I intend to follow it. My heart aches for you, hun. I lost my mother 4 1/2 years ago to colon cancer. She was 58, and I was 23. I didn't feel old enough to live a life without my mother. Like so many, she truly was my best friend and knew me better than anyone. Losing her was by far the hardest thing in my life so far. Our lives - my dad, brother and I - are not the same, and never will be. The pain never goes away, but it does get easier. Life will become normal again - I promise. I remember feeling in that first year that I couldn't imagine being happy ever again....but happiness does come. Just be patient, and don't rush it. Right now, the thing to do is sit in sorrow. Someday the time will come to move on with your life, and accept the daily presence of your mother as a memory, rather than a physical being. I will be here with you on your journey! Thank you for writing this blog - it will help so many who are going through the same thing.

Jackie said...

Thank you, ladies for taking the time to leave your comments. I really appreciate it.