Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Beautiful Quote Rediscovered

I found myself in one of my favourite places today - a greeting card shop - and I was reunited with a beautiful bereavement card that I once held dear. I have sent this card to a couple of my dearest friends when they lost a loved one, and to see it again in my current circumstances, well, it made me feel a little better.


The quote is well-known, yet there's never been an author attributed to it. Shame, really because the sentiment is so heartfelt and comforting, the writer deserves the accolades:


Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are with us.  


I've seen the quote with a slightly different ending... instead of 'let us know they are with us', it most often ends with 'let us know they are happy.' Both are beautiful messages, both offer solace at a time when we need it the most. 

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ok, this one made me cry today for the quote and the imagery. Even as I write this. My grandpa always used to tell me, "if you aim for the moon and fall short you're still among the stars" When my grandpa passed, in a rash of last minute Christmas shopping my grandma found a pendent with almost exactly the same quote. I wear it every day close to my heart. keeping my grandpa and his constant encouragement close to me. I'll carry this quote with me now and hold it close as well.

*hugs*

NiamhG said...

When my dad died suddenly I took the binoculars I'd given him one year as a birthday present. I gave them to my, then, 3 year old son. He said "I can use these to see granddad in heaven", he still looks to the skies with them. I like this quote. I really do.

Jackie said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Jennifer and Niamh. Much appreciated. :)